1) Stability in the time of change:
- Here Change has been seen in two dimensions:
- Spatial dimension, here change is seen as a process through a period of time, eg: West Asia turmoil from past decade and disintegration of USSR
- Temporal dimension, here change happens quickly i.e. today. Liberal order in west is changing to illiberalism i.e., Anti immigration, Protectionism, Populism etc
- Another phenomenon of global uncertainty that is rise of China, shift of geo politics from euro atlantic to Asia and Indian, Pacific Oceans. Pricewatercooper stated that the emerging economies E7 GDP will double the G7 countries
- The communication revolution and Globalisation were the reasons for development of illiberalism and changing measure, because due to Globalisation identities have come to threat due to continuous movement of people so protectionist measures and due to Communication the half truth knowledge and manipulative politics are taking place through social media etc.
- During this time the Foreign Policy should aim for the stability, through Arms race stability, Deterrence stability and Crisis stability
- Stability through Arms is not possible in this era where every state is capable of destructive weapons
- Deterrence stability, has to take place. For eg as in the case of Korean peninsula, where after testing of the nuclear missile by North Korea immediately the south Korea has deployed THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Missile) from USA
- Crisis stability through the proper information sharing between the nations and risk reduction mechanism
- Multilateral bodies have failed to institutionalise the stability so it is of concern to create effective multilateral mechanism
2) Voting with our feet:
- Changes in voting behaviour of the people which i discussed in previous post also
- Voting turnout is increasing in India but reversing in the West
- Gender gap is reducing and women gaining independent decision make
- Personal felt outcomes are pulling the voters to voting booths
- If party competition is keenest, voting turnout is high
- Development is determining the voting behaviour of the people
3) Open gates:
- The European Court of Justice has given a rule that is the members of Europe have right to grant or deny the Asylum to the people of third country
- EU Charter of Human Rights is a lighting guideline for entire world and Europe has granted liberal Asylum till date. But this judgement given voice to the right wing as opposition to it and it is seen as retrogressive step.
4) Making a clean break:
- This article is with respect to Tamil Nadu i.e., Jayalalitha’s disproportionate assets case
- The fundamental question is whether the public fund can be used to promote the name of convicts or unfair politicians? And why India has to name the public places with political leaders name? Why can’t an alternative role models are developed as to boost the confidence of people in political leadership (which is decreasing right now)
- Remember: Section 8 of Representations of People Act: Any person who is convicted is disqualified from election for a period of 6 years.
5) What does the age mean under the POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offence) Act?
- Under POCSO age of the Child is when he/she is under 18 wrt Biological Age but his mental age will be less than 10. Similarly when person with cerebral palsy even if the age is above 18 his mental age will be very low
- Recommendation: An amendment is needed to the act so that even the Mental Age of the person should be considered along with Biological Age
6) Leaders must tell voters not to take bribes:
- Three fundamental issues:
- Bribing of voters is a cognizable offence
- After having the proofs of bribes EC officials should have right to cancel the election, there is no such provision so far.
- Election funding cannot be stand alone exercise, rather it should be a part of transparency move. Stand alone exercise of state funding will lead to electoral corruption
7) Ancient copper coins found in J&K during excavations
- Coins belongs to 11 and 12th century where Yassakara and Lahora dynasties ruled over Kashmir
- It has been kept in Shri Pratap Singh Museum, Kashmir